Tuesday 1st May 2007 by C. Freeman
Do you want to air your views on the latest publications? Students at Brooke Weston have been invited to 'shadow' this year's CILIP Carnegie and Kate Greenaway Children's Book Awards. The existing 'Well Reads' book group are already signed up for the scheme, but English teacher, Miss Gonda, and Librarian Mrs Heppell would like more students to get involved. It would mean reading each of the titles and then posting a short review on the website www.ckg.org.uk which has more information on this year's contenders as well as past winning titles.
The Carnegie prize is awarded for literary content, while the Kate Greenaway Medal is awarded to the best illustrated book. A panel of judges will make the ultimate choice of winner in each category but students across the country are 'shadowing' the scheme; looking at each book, discussing its merits and picking their favourite titles from the shortlisted publications.
On 15 June shadowing groups from all over Northamptonshire will meet at Lodge Park CTC for a morning of debate.
Students will get the chance to defend their favourite titles and push them forward to be nominated as Northamptonshire's choices. At the end of the morning there will be a vote for one title from each list to be nominated for our county. Feelings run high!
Librarian Mrs Heppell said: 'This is a great way for students to get involved in quite a prestigious award scheme. We have two or three copies of each book in the library so there should be plenty to go around. The winning books will be announced in July and it's always fun to see whether our favourites win through.'
For more information on how to get involved contact the Library. Here's a list of the shortlisted books:
CILIP Carnegie Medal
- The Chicken House by Kevin Brooks
- A Swift Pure Cry by Siobhan Dowd
- The Road of Bones by Anne Finee
- Beast by Ally Kennen
- Just in Case by Meg Rosoff
- My Swordhand is Singing by Marcus Sedgwick
The CILIP Kate Greenaway Medal
- The Elephantom by Ross Collins
- Orange Pear Apple Bear by Emily Gravett
- The Adventures of the Dish and the Spoon by Mini Grey
- Scoop! An exclusive by Monty Molenski by John Kelly and Cathy Tincknell
- Augustus and His Smile by Catherine Rayner
- The Emperor of Absurdia by Chris Riddell.