Brooke WestonPeter KirkbrideCoomb Road, Great Oakley, Corby, Northamptonshire NN18 8LA t 01536 396366 f 01536 396867
Helping Your Child
How can I help my child with their career plans?
- Talk about likes and dislikes with your child, and discuss how those preferences might relate to career choices.
- Research with your child the areas they can go into, and most importantly how they might get there.
- Help them to explore the possible employers, apprenticeship providers and further education courses available in your local area. You should be able to find lots of useful information on these things on the web site of your local council. Keep an eye out for things like open days (at colleges and training organisations) and careers fairs held locally.
- Encourage them to participate in out of school activities. These are valuable in themselves and will help greatly later on in giving a good impression to people like employers or course tutors.
- Encourage your child to seek advice when necessary from Mrs Scott, Brooke Weston’s careers advisor.
- Encourage them to prepare properly for this discussion.